Tuesday, August 13, 2013

My favorite prayer

I have been a very spiritual person since I was very young. Our school had a very special morning prayer that always made me feel peaceful and happy. It had a verse from the Ishavasya upanishad,

Isavasyam idam sarvam
yat kinca jagatyam jagat
tena tyaktena bhunjitha
ma grdhah kasya svid dhanam

I was always curious about the meaning of this beautiful prayer and looked up its meaning on google. 
There are many translations and commentaries on it- 
I liked the one from the source: http://vedabase.net/iso/1/en1

So the meaning is:
Everything animate or inanimate that is within the universe is controlled and owned by the Lord. One should therefore accept only those things necessary for himself, which are set aside as his quota, and one should not accept other things, knowing well to whom they belong.

I am no saint but its assuring to think that everything around us, truly belongs to the one supreme being. My interpretation of this is that all those things which are truly yours, will come to you no matter what. We should try our best and work hard, but HE is the supreme judge who decides what we truly deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment